The DataFEWSion Traineeship is an educational model aimed at creating emerging leaders in the FEW system nexus.
Benefits to the Trainees
- Opportunity to collaborate on world-class interdisciplinary research
- Participate in a Graduate Learning Community of highly motivated and talented graduate students
- Develop technical language across disciplines with data science and decision modeling at the core
- Develop a knowledge base to address complex issues and affect change, with an awareness of social, political and economic impacts
- Develop communication skills to address a diverse audience from producers to policymakers to industry executives
- Prepare for various career paths in academia, industry, NGOs, government or entrepreneurship
The DataFEWSion program is structured to develop new leaders with technical knowledge, professional skills, and cross-disciplinary communication.
3 Levels of participation:
You may opt to only obtain the graduate certificate in “Data-Driven Food, Energy, and Water Decision Making”
The traineeship incorporates the learning community and certificate to make the most of a comprehensive professional development program around the FEWS nexus
The scholarship is available to exceptional Ph.D. students who are US citizens or permanent residents.
Key components of the Traineeship:
- FEWS nexus series: understanding the complexities and interacting with the stakeholders involved.
- Professional development series: communication tools & skills to effectively present innovation.
- Graduate Learning Community: interdisciplinary sharing, collaboration, and peer review.
Includes coursework in FEWS nexus issues; communication; entrepreneurship; data analytics & visualization; system modeling; and social science.
Annual Spring Symposium
Each year the DataFEWSion Research Symposium provides the trainees an opportunity for professional presentation of their research, plus interactions with the diverse group of stakeholders, such as producers, industry, policymakers, agencies and other researchers.