Student FAQ



Will it lengthen the time for completing my degree program?

Students participating in the DataFEWSion program will complete the same coursework required for their degree program in their home department. Plus the core coursework of the certificate which adds 4 credits


When is the application deadline?

Applications are reviewed beginning February 1st until all the slots are full.  Contact the program coordinator to determine if there are any available slots or for more information.


Do I have to be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident?

No. NSF NRT Trainees do not have to be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to participate in the traineeship.  However, to be eligible for the stipend we are required that it be limited to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. (Definition of a permanent resident” someone who has been granted the right to live in the United States indefinitely. Permanent residents are given what’s known as a “green card,” which is a photo ID card that proves their status)


Are ISU students eligible?

Yes, Iowa State University students are eligible. However, you must be in a graduate program or the process of applying and have at least 2 years remaining in your program.


I only have one year left in my degree program, can I still apply?

No, the traineeship is designed to be a two-year program. 


Do I have to pursue a Ph.D.?

The traineeship and graduate certificate is open to MS and Ph.D. students.

However, the stipend and benefits are only open to Ph.D. students.


 Is there an application fee?

There is not an application fee to be considered.


If the graduate program is not listed. Can I still apply?

Yes. You just need to plan to conduct dissertation research that has implications for advancing food production, biorenewable energy or water quality as it relates to the Midwest.


Can anyone take DataFEWSion Graduate Certificate courses?