Each year, the NSF NRT DataFEWSion Graduate Traineeship Program sets aside a portion of the NSF NRT award for trainee travel (including trainee alumni). The total program maximum amount available per fiscal year is $10,000.
- Trainees and Alumni can receive funding once per fiscal year (July 1 – June 30), and the maximum amount is $1,000.
- Travel grants are available on a competitive basis. Priority will be given to applicants who have not been funded in the past and to those who are presenting.
- Funds can be used for scientific conferences, meetings, or symposia as related to the trainees’ degree and research focus.
- Open to all current DataFEWSion graduate trainees.
- Open to Alumni of the DataFEWSion graduate traineeship program who are in the process of completing their degree and still registered at Iowa State University.
- The applicant must be in good standing with the DataFEWSion program. Current trainees must have attended 80% of the programming and be progressing in certificate completion. Traineeship alumni must have successfully completed all program requirements.
Apply online at https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/97b956d737cf4ec2b20a889fe39028e5 Applications should be submitted at least 1 month prior to the event.
- Within one week, you will be informed of the decision.
- Decisions will be based on how the travel is linked to FEWS and the availability of funds.
- The applicant must follow the ISU Workday reimbursement procedure.
- International travel is excluded.
- Applicants can be reimbursed only for the actual amount spent for airfare, hotel, and registration fees up to the maximum amount.
All expenses are reimbursed through a Workday Expense Report. When you return from your travel, you should create an Expense Report in Workday. For more information and/or instructions on how to create Expense Reports, please visit WorkCyte. You might benefit from taking the Learn@ISU training entitled Creating Expense Reports. This computer-based training is located in the Learn@ISU WorkCyte Finance System Training catalog (search Creating Expense Reports in the search box).
If you are not an ISU employee (no graduate assistantship or not working hourly somewhere on campus), you must email your request for reimbursement to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the Travel Reimbursement for Non-ISU Employees form. Attach the completed form and PDF copies of itemized receipts to the email.
All travel expenses must be cash expenditures (Summary of Allowable Travel Expenses in ISU Policy Library). It is University policy that noncash expenses will not be reimbursed (e.g., airfare vouchers, credit card points, mileage points, etc.). Travel expense reimbursement will not be processed until all required documentation has been received and analyzed for meeting funding requirements. If other travel support programs are funding you, it is expected that you will alert us to the amount.
All funding reimbursement documentation must be submitted through Workday, either by you as an ISU employee or on your behalf if you are not an ISU employee. For additional questions regarding the Expense Report process, contact email@example.com.
Students will have two weeks (14 days) from the last day of travel to submit reimbursement requests and itemized receipts with proof of purchase on all receipts to be eligible for reimbursement, per Workday.